Saturday, June 18, 2011

Life Lesson: Attitudes

Whether we like it or not, our attitudes affect those around us. And yes, of course I have heard the saying "You are responsible for your own feelings, no one can make you feel that way". What a dumb saying! I understand the principle behind it, we are ultimately in charge of our own happiness. That's great, it really is. But tell me you can be around habitually negative people and it not affect your mood. How long can you listen to whining, complaining and arguing without getting irked? How many days in a row can you witness bad attitudes and annoying tantrums without getting irritated? How many insulting comments does it take before you start feeling negative yourself?

Well, the solution to that problem is simple. Stay away from those people. Surround yourself with positive people. People who make you smile and laugh. People who are rockin' the same happy vibes that you love... But what if you can't. What if that person isn't someone you can just avoid. What if that someone is your child?

I realize as a parent it is my responsibility to help this child, to teach him how to look at the world in a more positive way. To see the good in things even when it seems impossible. To always try your best and to be happy with yourself so others will want to be around you. If nothing else at least filter the inappropriate comments that hurt and offend others. To be able to speak in a way that is an acceptable form of communication.

But no matter what I try, it doesn't work. I role-play, I correct, I encourage, I explain, I reward, I punish, I ignore, I can literally talk til I am blue in the face... and just when it seems I've broken through, perhaps something stuck... Wham-o... back to square one. Over and over, day after day, week after week, month after month, year... after.... year.

So long story short. Our attitudes can and do affect and influence those around us.

ps. I appologize for my negative attitude! hahaha. :)

No comments: