Friday, September 30, 2011

Rushing Relaxation

I have been trying to live a less stressful life lately, achieve more peace and make time for relaxation in each day. I even downloaded an app for that onto my smart phone! Problem is this ... I was feeling stressed after putting the kids down for bed so I reached for my phone and laid back on my bed for some relaxation. It had nice soothing music that took me back to my monthly 'Spa Days' :). Then the program asked me if I was a beginner. Umm... I guess so? I reasoned that I am definitely not good at relaxing or I wouldn't have downloaded the application for help, lol. So I selected beginner and was shown a circle, inside the circle were the words "inhale" and "exhale". I inhaled while it was highlighted, and exhaled when it was highlighted. This went on for a few minutes, I'd say three. By minute four I was searching for a way to skip to "the good part". I was done with this breathing exercise and ready to relax. Then it dawned on me that I was trying to rush my relaxation! I chuckled to myself when I couldn't find a fast foward button, and then turned my phone off-- I had things to get done ya know. :)

Bad sign? I think yes. lol. If you need an app to teach you how to relax, you are too "connected" and secondly, if you skip ahead and try to rush through relaxation you are missing the whole point.

My next attempt will involve a very hot bubble bath, a trashy gossip magazine, candles, some good music .... and ice cream (of course!). Just thinking about it makes me "ahhhhh".

 

1 comment:

NaDell said...

I love it. I have a hard time relaxing too because you just never know when a crying kid is going to make you jump out of bed and help them so it's hard to sleep fully relaxed. I do my best though.
Enjoy your relaxing.